Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Steampunked Window

Hello Everybody!

It is my turn over at the Unique Laser Designs Blog.  And this is one of my most favorite projects I have ever made.  I hope I haven't creatively peaked!  LOL!  I am going to show you all the highlights.  If you are looking for how I did it-go over to the Unique Laser Designs Blog here, and I have a breakdown of steps.

I found this window box at a thrift store.  Never mind the thing in the window box part.  That is a project for another day.  And can you believe this in the only original photo I have of the box?  I apologize for the quality-it was a phone picture.  :)


So with some paint, fiber paste, aluminum foil, cardstock, acrylic sheets, alcohol inks, and Unique Laser Designs embellishments, I made this:



At first I wanted to paint this yellow and put on some cute ULD daisies.  But then something stirred--something Steampunk!  So I started to paint light brown.  Then I painted dark brown on it.  I sponged black on the brown paint.  I mixed black paint with fiber paste to create "gunk."

I didn't know how I was going to do the middle of the window until I happen to see my January Tim Holtz tag hanging up.  You can see it here.  And that is when it hit me!  I would do a section of exposed gears.  So I did-nice clean shiny gears inside the oily dirty machine. ;)


I used Tim Holtz's die cut bottles to make these bottles out of Clear Scraps which is a thick (but not to thick) acrylic.  I used alcohol inks and then I used the skull and crossbones from the pirate flag for one bottle.  For the other bottle I used the word hope from the brick stencil.


Because these gears are going in the "heart of the machine" I wanted a bright metal color.  The one on the right is embossed while the 2 on the left are "gold leafed" except with copper leafing.



Here is another picture of the window box.  I am going to put cards in it that are ready to go!


For my Unique Laser Design Pieces, I used the following:









I would like to enter this Steampunk Window Box into the following challenges:


SanDee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenges: "Steampunk Stories"--When I saw what September's challenge was-I was instantly intrigued.  How could I tell a story.  As I worked on my Steampunk Window Box there was a story unfolding.  I like to think of the window box as a dirty working machine just chugging away.  There are bottles in the window and one of them is labeled hope.  Is that bottle full or empty?  Then the heart of the box explodes-revealing a very clean "gear" heart.  There is a hot air balloon in the window-is it leaving because the people on there know the secret?  

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge:  Rock the Techniques:  I used Tim's pounce technique to apply the alcohol inks to the acrylic and foil.  Also, I used sticky powder on the gears with the copper leafing.



10 comments:

Annette Allen said...

Girl you are on a roll with your amazing creativity.. LOVE what you are doing.

Mynn xx said...

I think this is awesome, Katy! LOVE all the texture--what a great project! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is amazing!! WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!

Donna Nuce said...

Ahhh-maze-ing!

Brigitte said...

Wow !!! I love your creation...
Thank you for your participation at Sandee & Amelie steampunk challenges
Coutureuse

Suzanne C said...

Cool steampunk effect! The gears are a wonderful detail and all the colors are fantastic.

Suzanne C said...

Oops. forgot to say Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

klistersøster said...

Beautiful grunge work with your steampunk window I particularly like your story, hope that your bottle in the window is full.
Thank you for participating in Sandee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenge.

Hugs
Susan

Claudia N. said...

LOVE your bottle labeled "hope"!!! What a philosophical story your awesome creation tells! The window looks absolutely stunning!

Thank you so much for sharing it with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk challenges!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Lin said...

What a fabulous project. I love your description of how it came about, and the finished article is worlds away from the start. Just gorgeous

Thanks so much for joining in and supporting our first ever challenge.

Lin
The Mirror Crack'd