Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Shaker Valentine's Day Card

Hello Everybody,

I love this card that I am going to show you!  It has shakers on it!  *Squeal*

I am entering it into 3 challenges:

Moxie Fab:  Tuesday Trigger--Yummy!  I was inspired by the color pink.  You too can play--there's plenty of time!



Simon Says Challenge: Love is in the Air


The second challenge is for the Let's Scrap Blog Hop.  This is stop #2 on the hop.  Here's the sketch:


Debby did a great job with this sketch!  Now here's my card...Scroll down, and I show you what I did!


A couple of years ago I took a Tim Holtz class at Creating Keepsakes University in Nashville, TN.  It was awesome!  Leftover from the class were these little plastic bubbles.  In my Paper Crafts Magazine on page 49 they used a shaker card.  So I knew I could make the shakers with these Tim Holtz bubbles.  I didn't really know when, until I saw the Moxie Fab inspiration...and then it hit me--Valentine's Day.


So on the Let's Scrap website, Debby, the sketch designer for this card, put together a sheet of all the blogs participating in the blog hop and their sketches.  So I printed it out and looked at it, and looked at it again.  This sketch jumped out at me twice!  So now to pick the papers.  This Die Cuts with a View matstack is a bit old, but it comes in so handy!!


So figuring out how I was going to cover these bubbles was the most challenging thing...


What to put inside on the other hand wasn't so challenging.  I put some mini crystal beads that I got from a while back inside the shakers.  They aren't lying when they say mini!


Some of these pink beads will go nicely also.  And those alcohol ink hearts that I punched out the other day--perfect!  I glued 2 of them back to back just in case they flip in the shakers.  They don't but you never know!


I sealed up both of these shakers with glue from Sparkle N Sprinkle.  I left these 2 bubbles attached.


I put the white cardstock on, pressed the outer part of the shaker...and had to wait for it to dry...


Now to find cardstock to go over these shakers.  A long time ago, before they had electronic cutting machines, we had to use a tiny blade and nested stencil type things called Coluzzle.  I still love mine.

So I cut the square out and a circle.  The square was ok, but the circle left too much white space.  See on the left hand side of the circle?  Not pretty :(


So I measured the circle and cut out a 1.25 inch circle from the Cricut.  Now that's a pretty fit!  So there are 2 pieces of pink Bazzill covering the bubbles.  To adhered them I used my Xron machine so you can see the seam but it isn't as noticeable.


I cut the hugs and kisses from this paper.  Still found in the same matstack.  The striped paper is also from this set.


And here is my shaker Valentine's Day card.  I'm sending my sister a package for Valentine's Day so that way I can send it off and not worry too much about the envelope!  I stamped Happy Valentine's Day on the inside.  Until next time my friends...shake it up!

2 comments:

Kim Dellow said...

Fabulous! Lovely card and tanks for the look-see! Kim

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card and a fabby tutorial too :)
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
hugs Mandy xx